Tuesday 13 March 2012

Fruit Beer - Brewing

This is my first attempt at brewing with fruit.  Following many tips from other brewers I will be racking to the fruit in secondary, none has been added to primary.  This weekend it will have been two weeks of fermenting so it should be time to rack it.  You'll see as you read this recipe that the base is quite plain.  I want something that will be quite easy drinking and will allow the raspberries to dominate.  I also didn't add sugar to primary as I expect the fruit's natural sugars will dry out the beer.

Raspberry Trappist Beer base

1Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 60 minutes
160g Tapioca based maltodextrine @ 60 minutes
15g Hallertaur Hops @ 60 minutes
15g Tettanager Hops @ 30 minutes
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient @ 10 minutes
15g Tettanager Hops @ 10 minutes
1.8Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 0 minutes
*** Cold crash for 30 minutes ***
1 packets of Fermentis S-33 Trappist yeast

2 comments:

  1. Let me know how this one turns out...I have never been a huge fan of fruity beer but new planet has 3 gluten free beers. All the reviews that I have read were saying it was the best GF beer available to date. I was not a big fan of the lite, or pale ale beers but they have a rasberry ale that was quite refreshing and seemed to mask the sorghum twang very well. I see you are using S-33...I'd be curious to see if the fermentation is fast and furious as was my experiences. The fermentation was over with in less than a week.

    On another note; I bottled a GF ESB this past weekend made with malted millet,GF oats, sorghum, brown rice solids, and maltodextrin. It tasted great going into the bottles and had good body...I will post the recipe if it turns out good.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fermentation for this beer was very fast an furious, about 30 points in three days. It's a great yeast.

    I tasted a sample this morning from the fermenter and I think it's great. If I get time I'll rack over the raspberries this weekend.

    Definitely interested in your ESB recipe, feel free to email me your recipe and photos if you'd like it reblogged. I've got to get off my ass and roast some gluten free grains.

    ReplyDelete