Wednesday 1 February 2012

Little Creatures Pale Ale - Brewing

Last week I put down two beers while I had some leave from work.  Little Creatures Pale Ale and a Brew Dog inspired beer.

I used this guide as a base for the Little Creatures Pale Ale recipe.  Little Creatures pale ale was a beer I really loved back when I could drink glutinous beer.




Little Creatures Pale Ale
---------------------------------
1Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 60 minutes
140g Maltodextrine @ 60 minutes
250ml Amber Candy Syrup @ 60 minutes
5g Chinook Hops @ 60 minutes
30g East Kent Goldings @ 60 minutes
10g Chinook @ 20 minutes
10g Cascade @ 20 minutes
1/2 whirlfloc tablet @ 15 minutes
15g Chinook @ 10 minutes
15g Cascade @ 10 minutes
1tsp Yeast Nutrient @ 10 minutes
25g Chinook @ 5 minutes
25g Cascade @ 5 minutes

1.8Kg Sorghum Syrup @ Flameout
*** Cold Crash ***
US-05 Fermentis American Ale Yeast

10g Chinook @ 5 days
10g Cascade @ 5 days

Early tasting from the fermenter was really good.  Hope to give an update in about six weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Interested to see how this one turns out. With the East Kent Goldings is this more like a ESB than a pale ale?

    I have not tried the sierra nevada clone yet. I'm at 3 weeks in bottles and usually give the GF beer at least a month before trying one.

    I have a GF Millet/Sorghum pale ale partial mash I need to post up that turned out pretty good. Its cloudy but I think thats b/c I did not use a fine enough bag when steeping the millet. Its a very fine grain. This beer had no sorghum flavors at 6 weeks out. I think the millet helps mask the sorghum twang.

    Given the cloudiness of the millet i'm trying to work up a recipe for a hefe using the millett. If you need a good source let me know...there is a HB store in colorado that sells malted millet by the pound.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandon,

    This feedback section probably isn't an easy place to upload recipes. Recommend chucking it here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/ (and it will also give it greater exposure).

    This is the beer the hopping rate is taken from http://www.beerstore.com.au/beer/little-creatures-pale-ale-pint-568ml-beer (currently this isn't looking as good as the ipa I put down the same week).


    Can't wait to see how your snpa turned out.

    ReplyDelete