Monday 10 February 2014

Epic Pale Ale gone Gluten Free - Brewday

I've spent the last few weeks researching the "Can You Brew It Recipe" for Epic Pale Ale.  This is a New Zealand brewed Pale Ale with HEAPS of USA Cascade Hop Pellets. This beer utilities a hopping method called whirlpool hopping to increase the bitterness and draw more flavour out of the hops.  Once the boil has finished I started a whirlpool and threw in the 0 minute hops.  The whirlpool doesn't need to be going constantly but I stirred it every 5 minutes after the end of the boil.  All Cascade hops used in this recipe were 5.4% Alpha Acid.

If this brew is successful I'd like to try hopping an IPA with Centennial in the same way.

Recipe:
350g Maltodextrine @ 60 Minutes
1.5Kg Sorghum syrup @60 minutes
10g Cascade Hops @ 60 minutes
20g Cascade Hops @ 30 minutes
1 whirlfloc tablet @ 15 minutes
48g Cascade Hops @ 10 minutes
1tsp Yeast Nutrient @ 10 minutes
1tsp Calcium Carbonate @ 10 minutes
500mL Amber Candy Syrup @ 0 minutes
1.5Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 0 minutes
50g Cascade Hops @ 0 minutes
*** Begin Whirlpool ***
50g Cascade Hops after 10 minutes
*** Restart Whirlpool ***
After 10 minutes Cold Crash

Topped up with water to 20L and pitched US-05 Yeast.

This recipe calls for two dry hoppings of 57g Cascade Hops each.  I'll update the recipe as and when I finish brewing it.


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog with creative background !
    I am definitely going to try above recipe as well because whenever i arrange get together at my home my friends demand me to prepare home made brew because they love my recipe and i have taken it from this site Http://www.homebrewtips.net

    ReplyDelete